How to Prevent Accidental Antifreeze Poisoning?

With the sub-zero temperature set to keep, People have been attaining for the antifreeze to avoid this liquid in their car radiators from turning out to be snow. But antifreeze can be deadly to animals.


Most brands of antifreeze have a sweet taste, that can be tempting to pets or animals and even children. The primary ingredient generally in most antifreeze brands is ethylene glycol. Pets who ingest this chemical substance will promptly get started to have problems with vomiting, convulsions and kidney inability. If pets don’t get immediate veterinary health care, they face an agonizing, almost certain loss of life.

If a pet does touch antifreeze, it’s vital that you get her or him to a veterinarian within the first few time of ingestion – any later, and the liver organ will currently have began to metabolize the poison, resulting in kidney failure and eventually fatality.

Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning testing add an intoxicated appearance (ie, staggering, insufficient coordination, clear disorientation, and vomiting). Pets who’ve ingested antifreeze may also show up listless or stressed out.

Please help to keep animals safe when you are extra vigilant when working with antifreeze: avoid spills, be certain to always tighten up the cap firmly after use and store the antifreeze in a location where pets and children can’t reach it.

Even better, choose antifreeze products which contain polypropylene glycol as opposed to the far more dangerous ethylene glycol. In case the ingredients aren’t detailed, then choose a make of antifreeze which has a biting agent, as this may deter pets from ingesting it.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s